Action Button Entertainment
Based in Oakland, California
JULY 12th 2016
VIDEOBALL is a sport everyone can play. VIDEOBALL is simple enough for a loud party. VIDEOBALL is deep enough for a quiet party. VIDEOBALL combines our favorite elements of arcade shooting games, modern first-person shooters, and modern real-time strategy games with the depth of soccer, basketball, hockey, football, and rugby. In VIDEOBALL you maneuver a player using directional buttons or either of your controller's analog sticks. Press any button or pull any trigger to project a triangle. Only triangles can push balls. Triangles also stun players on impact. Hold any button to charge bigger triangles. Bigger triangles push harder. Push balls into the opposing goal to score points. Hold a button long enough to build a defensive square. Shoot defensive squares to destroy them.
VIDEOBALL started in 2012 as a prototype. In 2013, we decided to finish it. Finishing it meant tuning and balancing its mechanics, timings, and presentation until we wholeheartedly believe it is a competition-grade digital sporting good. Also, we added online multiplayer. It takes a long time to put online multiplayer into a videogame: VIDEOBALL will launch on 12 July 2016.
- VIDEOBALL is competitive: 1 on 1, 2 on 2, or 3 on 3.
- You can play VIDEOBALL with friends in person.
- You can play VIDEOBALL online in ranked or exhibition contests.
- You can play VIDEOBALL against / with a selection of AI partners.
- You can play VIDEOBALL with four players on the PlayStation 4 or six players on Xbox One.
- VIDEOBALL has 35 competitive multiplayer arenas.
- VIDEOBALL has an Arcade Mode which puts you (and an optional friend) against artificial intelligences with nightmarish territorial advantage.
- VIDEOBALL runs at 60 frames per second on consoles (at 144 frames per second on home computers) in 1080p resolution.
- VIDEOBALL features a dozen exciting music tracks by Ken "coda" Snyder.
- VIDEOBALL features robust fact-tracking to save you and your friends' records permanently to your console or computer.
VIDEOBALL final gameplay trailer / release date announcement (1080p 60fps) YouTube
VIDEOBALL TV (launch infomercial) YouTube
VIDEOBALL release date announcement: "VIDEOBALL Across America", part one YouTube
VIDEOBALL E3 2015 trailer (1080p 60fps) YouTube
Eleven minutes of highly competitive play with a medley of music (1080p 60fps) YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "Now: these interactions very legible, which is vital for something in this continuum. You have to know what’s happening, and it doesn’t take long to get there. You’ll know the “rules” by the end of the first game, and then you’ll want to play with them. For example, touching the ball (or getting hit with it) essentially stuns the player. So the ball is also terrain that can be used against opponents. What I like about sports “games” is that they are functionally speaking wargames. They are about position and tactics. This is a real-time, tactical wargame. "
- Jerry "Tycho Brahe" Holkins, Penny Arcade
- "It feels less like a video game. It feels like a court.
- Wasim Salman, 2015, wasimsalman.wordpress.com
- "Videoball takes the best high-level thinking across multiple real and e-sports and throws them together into one coherent, elegant whole."
- Wasim Salman, 2014, wasimsalman.wordpress.com
Soundtrack: The Original Sounds of Action Button Entertainment's VIDEOBALL (all tracks composed and produced by Ken "Coda" Snyder")
Listen for free and pay what you want to download from Bandcamp bc.s3m.us.
About Action Button Entertainment
Action Button makes Video Games.
More information on Action Button Entertainment, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Director & Game Designer
Artist & Programmer
Ken "coda" Snyder